Small Steps in Speech provides financial grants for supplemental therapies/treatments to assist children with speech and language disabilities.
Grants are not based solely on financial need. Applicants will not be accepted with a joint family income of more than $100,000.
Children with speech and language disabilities between the ages of 3 and 22 years of age.
AT Services Provided/Covered
This grant covers supplemental treatments not covered by insurance. If applying for private speech therapy, the therapy provider and/or the therapist must be notified that the application has been made including their name(s) as providers. Speech-language pathologists must be licensed by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA).
AT Devices Provided/Covered
Grants are available for relevant apps. If applying for a grant to be used toward an assistive technology device, a formal Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Evaluation from a qualified service provider must be included stating that different pieces of technology have been trialed and what you are requesting is the best fit for a means of communication. SSIS does not award grants for iPads; however, grants are awarded for iPad software applications and an AAC Evaluation is required for software application requests.
Download the PDF application. Deadlines are February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1. Applications must be received via email or fax before 5:00 p.m. EST on the deadline day. Mailed applications must be postmarked on or before the deadline day. All supporting documents must be included with the application in order for the application to be considered. If any of the required documents have not been submitted, the application will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Please note that each application MUST include insurance information for the applicant even if the specific request is not covered under the child’s health plan. The application must request a specific need in regard to a communication delay/disorder within the speech and language realm. Notification is sent to the person applying for the grant no later than 60 days after the application deadline. Grant funds are dispersed to professional service providers or vendors on behalf of the awarded individual in accordance with the contract requirements.
Pieces of the Puzzle
- Grants are not available for Applied Behavioral Analysis therapy or tablet technology.
- Requests are reviewed quarterly.
- Small Steps in Speech is not able to fund every qualified applicant. Awards are made to applicants with the most pressing therapeutic and resource needs within each quarterly applicant pool as available funds permit.
- Grants are awarded for future therapies, materials, and/or workshops and will not be available for reimbursement of previous expenditures.
- If an applicant applies for a grant and is denied, they can reapply in the next calendar year unless proof can be provided that the need (financial, therapeutic, etc.) has changed, in which case they may reapply earlier.