Access for All Weekly Tip
For the week of October 1 - 5
Creating An Accessible Workstation
It is important to create an accessible workstation for employees who need it. There are several aspects to keep in mind when doing so.
• Wheelchair Access: Make sure that there is an accessible path of travel to workstations. Ensure that chairs are easy to move out of the way so that a wheelchair can fit at the workstation, without inconveniencing other patrons.
• Desks: Some wheelchairs have high armrests or other protrusions that prevent them from sitting at a desk comfortably. If possible, provide desks with adjustable heights or provide several desks in a variety of fixed heights.
• Keyboard and mouse locations: Arrange cables in the desk area so that there is some flexibility regarding the location of input devices.
• Displays: If possible, allow users to adjust the closeness, height, and angle of computer displays.
• Seating: Make sure that chairs are comfortable, but also easy to get into and out of. Adjustable chairs will accommodate a range of users.
Also, consider providing ergonomic equipment as often as it is possible. This not only improves the well-being of your staff, but it increases productivity, morale, and concentration in your employees.
Call Oklahoma ABLE Tech (800-257-1705) for accommodation ideas or to borrow assistive technology. ABLE Tech’s AT Device Demonstration and Short-Term Loan Program works just like a book library. Here are some devices that relate to this article:
Varidesk Sit/Stand Desk
Ergonomic Nucleus Office Chair
Flicker Free Monitor
Folding Ramp for Wheelchairs and Scooters
Sit N Gym Plus
T-Foam Seat Cushion
Tablet Desk Stand Holder
WorkEZ Multi-Purpose Stand
Need funding to assist in the purchase of assistive devices? Oklahoma ABLE Tech offers a comprehensive online guide for Oklahoma Funding for AT. Additionally, ABLE Tech, in partnership with Oklahoma Assistive Technology Foundation (OkAT) and BancFirst of Stillwater, offers Financial Loans to purchase assistive technology. Several programs of funding are available, all with LOW interest rate and flexible repayment terms, as well as special qualification opportunities for applicants who might not qualify for a traditional bank loan. For questions on the Financial Loan opportunities, call Shelley Gladden for more information at 800-257-1705.
Rob Carr, Accessibility Coordinator
Linda Jaco, Associate Director for Sponsored Programs