Oklahoma ABLE Tech collaborates with the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) as a durable medical equipment (DME) provider of vending iPads, apps, and durable cases as speech-generating devices (SGD) to eligible members. Oklahoma ABLE Tech is unable to vend cases that have built in amplification (i.e. ChatWrap, Speech Case). These cases that have multiple features, more than just a durable case, must be funded through their manufacturing company.
The following requirements are needed to request ANY speech-generating device from SoonerCare - including those from Apple (iPad and app), Prentke Romich Company (PRC), Tobii Dynavox, and Saltillo, etc.
1. AAC Evaluation conducted by a licensed SLP (completed within the last 6 months)
2. Video documentation demonstrating functional use (either on a DVD or flash drive that won't be returned). The entire video should be no more than 5-8 minutes.
3. Physician prescription stating device name, communication app name if an iPad, specific accessories (straps, key-guards, cases, etc) also need to be listed.
4. Letter of medical necessity if statement of medical necessity is not in the prescription (See sample of separate letter of medical necessity below; may be included on the prescription).
5. Copy of most recent visit with the doctor where expressive communication disorder (or nonverbal) is noted (visit on notes must be within a calendar year of the authorization request).
6. Release of Liability form signed by the parent/guardian (downloadable form below).
7. Copy of private insurance card, front and back, if applicable
The Fine Print - What You Need to Know
- SoonerCare Approves Devices for Persons Up to Age 21
- Evaluation Must Consider 3 Different Devices
- Request MUST Be Submitted by a Licensed Speech Pathologist to Oklahoma ABLE Tech
- Approved Requests Will Include the following:
- An iPad (up to $499)
- The appropriate communication application (see list of approved apps)
- A durable case (Ex. Otterbox)
- CPT/HCPCS Code for the iPad, app, and case is E2599 - Accessory for Speech-Generating Device, Not Otherwise Classified
- SoonerCare is a payor of last resort. If the SoonerCare member has insurance coverage from more than one entity, the other entity(s) must be billed first for the SGD. An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) letter must be presented to SoonerCare before they will pay the balance total for the SGD.
Need Assistance with Report Writing?
For assistance in writing the report and to access the forms needed, please visit AAC Funding (Your PRC and Saltillo Funding Source). This resource is designed to help people with requests for PRC equipment; however, the final report can be customized for any speech-generating device.
How to Submit Your Request
Once all required documentation has been collected, please submit your requests for iPads, apps, and durable cases as speech-generating devices to:
Oklahoma ABLE Tech
Attn: Sandra Wright-Hackler
1514 W. Hall of Fame
Stillwater, OK 74078
Release of Liability Form
Sample of Medical Necessity Form
Which Apps are Approved?
The OHCA will consider approving apps, in addition to those listed below, if justified in the documentation submitted with the request.