Oklahoma ABLE Tech collaborates with the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) as a durable medical equipment (DME) provider of vending iPads, apps, and durable cases as speech-generating devices (SGD) to eligible members.
The following requirements are needed to request ANY speech-generating device from SoonerCare - including those from Apple (iPad and app), Prentke Romich Company (PRC), Tobii Dynavox, and Saltillo, etc.
- AAC Evaluation Report completed by a speech-language pathologist (Conducted Within Last 6 Months)
- Certificate of Medical Necessity Signed by Physician (Example of Certificate)
- Copy of Member's SoonerCare Card
- Prescription from the Physician
- Prior Authorization Form (HCA12A) Signed by Physician (If physician has signed the Certificate of Medical Necessity, provider may write in “see attached” on the signature line in Section I of the HCA12A. Oklahoma ABLE Tech can complete this form on your behalf.)
- Video on DVD or CD Demonstrating Client Successfully Using the Device (Video should be no longer than 10-15 minutes and may be segmented
- Physician's notes from the SoonerCare member's most recent visit
The Fine Print - What You Need to Know
- SoonerCare Approves Devices for Persons Up to Age 21
- Evaluation Must Consider 3 Different Devices
- Request MUST Be Submitted by a Licensed Speech Pathologist to Oklahoma ABLE Tech
- Approved Requests Will Include the following:
- An iPad (up to $499)
- The appropriate communication application (see list of approved apps)
- A durable case (Ex. Otterbox)
- CPT/HCPCS Code for the iPad, app, and case is E2599 - Accessory for Speech-Generating Device, Not Otherwise Classified
- SoonerCare is a payor of last resort. If the SoonerCare member has insurance coverage from more than one entity, the other entity(s) must be billed first for the SGD. An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) letter must be presented to SoonerCare before they will pay the balance total for the SGD.
Need Assistance with Report Writing?
For assistance in writing the report and to access the forms needed, please visit the Prentke Romich Company (PRC) Funding Assistant. This resource is designed to help people with requests for PRC equipment; however, the final report can be customized for any speech-generating device.
How to Submit Your Request
Once all required documentation has been collected, please submit your requests for iPads, apps, and durable cases as speech-generating devices to:
Oklahoma ABLE Tech
Attn: Sandra Wright-Hackler
1514 W. Hall of Fame
Stillwater, OK 74078
Which Apps are Approved?
The OHCA will consider approving apps, in addition to those listed below, if justified in the documentation submitted with the request.